Pages

15 November 2009

Tiny House Blog

A local, Kent Griswold, who keeps the fantastic Tiny House Blog up, running, and full of diverse info, has just put up a post on this project. If you're curious to see, please follow this link. I wrote a little manifesto this morning, at least one of the puppets on the board of directors did, I think...

In Kent's words:

I am developing this blog because of my love of small spaces. I have always dreamed of having a cabin and have done research over the years. Tiny houses have also become an interest to me in the last couple of years.

The goal of the tiny house blog is to discover the different options available for a person looking to down size into a tiny house or cabin. I will be looking at different type of construction, from logs, to yurts to modern and the unusual. I will also do book reviews, look at alternate energy for heat and electricity.

I want to encourage feedback and ideas to make this an informative blog. Stories of people who are living this dream. Pictures of tiny houses and cabins, etc. My goal is to publish weekly and more if possible. Thank you for sharing in this experience with me.

1 comment:

  1. FROM ASA:

    Ever since your entry appeared on Tiny House Blog, I'm sure you've been inundated with questions and requests... so I'll add another one!

    I'm impressed that you've been able to build what appears to be a solidly-framed house using repurposed materials... yet another real-life demonstration on the amount of waste from other peoples' projects being enough to build a house.

    Have you thought about allowing people to come up and stop by during the build process? I would very much like to take a look at the developing space, but of course not inconvenience the "builders." (I live in San Rafael.)

    Myself, I'm designing a housetruck to accommodate what I can only describe is a yearning for the road. John Labowitz's site is the closest I could find to what I'm pursuing, and indeed, I've derived inspiration from his rants (keep everything simple!) and material lists (wool insulation). His site is at: http://polymecca.com/housetruck. One thing you may find inspiring is that he's actually just using a brass handpump for his hot water delivery system, and plans to take (I believe) sponge baths, or Japanese-style baths in a large bucket.

    I saw a posting about termites on your blog; I assume you have it under control, but if not, I believe one non-toxic way to treat them is to drill holes into the wood, and inject a borax solution into the holes (20 Mule Team is the shelf name of one brand, it's just hand soap/cleaning powder). Unfortunately when my mother had a termite infestation in her house, they had spread so much that we had to use the noxious commercial stuff + an exterminator. Just a warning; we found termites to be quite tenacious little buggers. Very much a "tip of the iceberg" situation, as with mice / cockroaches: where you see one, there's more.

    Here's a quick link to a forum where some people are discussing borax toxicity: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/98799-diy-termite-prevention-2.html

    Thanks for documenting the great, inspiring work on your site. I wish y'all success in finishing the house without too much weather-related nastiness.

    ReplyDelete